How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get SSI not full Social Security. I retired at age 49, had

Customer Question

I get SSI not full Social Security. I retired at age 49, had to go thru heck to get my disability approved, and was told I was only entitled to X amount of money.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had to withdraw money out of 401 K account and was taxed at about 47% rate because I was not over 50 at the time I retired.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If you are disabled at the time you took 401k distribution - you may claim an exception from early distribution tax.
However the money you took out will be subject to regular income tax.

All these calculations are done on your individual tax returns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was disabled at the time I took the 401k distribution, but it wasn't approved until I took out my money completely in 2007 I believe the tax was withheld automatically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no earned income from 2003. I am a viet Nam vet and rely strictly on my SSI and my Viet Nam Compensation.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.


But withholding is not your actual tax liability.
Your actual tax liability will be calculated on your tax return.
So any withholding will be CREDITED toward your tax liability - and if your actual tax liability is less - you will be getting a refund.
If you were disabled - and form 1099R doesn't indicates that - you would need to file form 5329 with your tax return and claim disability exemption.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I don't have the funds for that. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

What is the total amount of your distribution?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my account. Thank you very much.