Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I applied security at age 63 in 2005. I serve red 20 years…

Customer Question
I applied for social security...
I applied for social security at age 63 in 2005. I serve red 20 years of military service 1960-1980. My question is was the credit of $300 per quarter of military service figured in when I applied?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/15/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Yes, the procedure is that that calculation is done when you apply - and you were specifically asked about your military service ON your application. BUT, that said, if you don't specifically recall if it was asked and answered (such as if you applied in person or on the phone and don't know for sure if the intake person properly pressed the right buttons to reflect your answer and your military service years were recorded for proper years) - you can ask the SSA to review your situation and confirm that your military service was properly calculated for.

I will add that I have not encountered yet, a situation where military was not properly provided for, but, it is also true that not many people have asked the question nor followed up, so I can't say whether mistakes are made. I do know that the SSA makes a lot of errors generally (likely due to human error), and so I always figure that it may be worth inquiring of at the SSA if you have time in your week.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!