How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 76,retiree, on social security. I am considering moving

Customer Question

I am 76,retiree, on social security. I am considering moving to another country ,Rwanda (Africa) or Belgium ( Europe) or Canada.If I were to move to anyone of those countries, and open a bank account, can I have my SS checks wired over there?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible.

When we say you are “outside the United States,” we mean you are not in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands or American Samoa. Once you have been outside the United States for at least 30 days in a row, we consider you to be outside the country.

Generally, Social Security cannot send payments to individuals in some countries

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.


If you are living outside the United States and you are in a country where the SSA cannot send payments, you may use direct deposit to a financial institution in any country with an international direct deposit agreement with the United States. See the list here -

Belgium and Canada are in this list, but Rwanda is not.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.