How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left government service after 26 years but before age of

Customer Question

I left government service after 26 years but before age of eligibility for retirement and SS. I'm a full time student getting a PhD right now and likely through 2018. How will this affect my SS calculation? I don't work now -- am I a university fellowship though over summers I do teaching assistant work for salary. Thanks. Juliet Smith
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings. They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most. And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age. So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration.

Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.


If you work for a federal, state or local government agency, a nonprofit organization or in another country, you may be eligible for a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security.

A pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit.

Following Windfall Elimination Provision fact sheet explains whether you might be affected.

The Windfall Elimination Provision may affect how the SSA calculates your retirement or disability benefit.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.