How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a legal Canadian resident living in the USA since

Customer Question

I am a legal Canadian resident living in the USA since 1985,employed till 2005 when I retired. I worked in Canada for 27 years and paid into the pension plan there until 1985.
when I retired here the SS cut me back on my USA pension because of the Windfall Elimination clause. What they don't take into consideration is the fluctuation in the currency changes . For ten years I have tried to live on my USA social security alone at $760 per month. Now I find it impossible to exist on that alone. The Canadian dollar has devalued to sixty one cents. HELP, where do I go to get help ? Brian.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but social security benefits are not changed as a result of foreign currency fluctuations. I know it makes it difficult in your situation, but there is absolutely nothing that can be done.

I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.