Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Why did I not receive a cost of living increase payment?

Customer Question
Why did I not receive...
Why did I not receive a cost of living increase payment for 2016 ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/12/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, unfortunately, no one got a COLA this year, and it has of course caused hardship for many, since we all know that our costs of good certainly did rise, generally speaking. The reason for no COLA is because of the index used by the government to determine if our Cost Of Living has risen.

The government uses the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). CPI-Ws are calculated on a monthly basis by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and for the applicable period, there was apparently no increase in that index.

You can read further explanation here:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/latestCOLA.html

Lack of COLA is not the norm, but it does happen. Hopefully we will see a COLA come end of 2016, so we can stay afloat a little better in 2017.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. It is period end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Urgent!

Sincerely,