How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 74 and receive $1876 SS monthly. Spouse is 71 and

Customer Question

I am 74 and receive $1876 SS monthly. Spouse is 71 and receives $1070 SS monthly on her own work record.
If I die,Can she receive my $1876 instead of her $1070?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes, she would receive the higher of your benefit and her retirement benefit (they do not stack). At that time of your death, your spouse can apply for SS survivor benefits and being age 71, she would receive 100% of your SS benefit ($1876). She can also apply for a one time payment of $255 at the same time. See link to for more info from the SSA website: So to answer your question, yes she can receive your benefit if it is higher than her own.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?