Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a male and will be 60 on 2/26. On 02/02/2015 I went to…

Customer Question
I am a male and...
I am a male and will be 60 on 2/26. On 02/02/2015 I went to the ER with a bad groin pain. I was misdiagnosed until 06/10/2015. I had double inguinal hernias and a cyst on my liver 19cmx14cmx16cm. I had the hernia surgery on 6/25 and the cyst drained on 7/27. The cyst kept growing and on 12/29 the right lobe of my liver was removed. Walmart decided to treat me like family and (after 10 years) made it imposible to return to my job. I am having a hard time recovering from the last surgery and my doctor suggested that I look into some sort of retirement. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/12/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

How old are you? Are you considered disabled enough to file for disability?

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

As long as you are eligible for SS retirement through your work history (you need 40 credits which is about 10 years of work). You can file for your normal retirement benefit at age 62 (you will incur an early retirement penalty). At full retirement you will have no penalty (age 66 in 2016). You can also file for SSDI (disability) if you qualify and cannot work. You can do this at any age and it might be your best best, ***** ***** also apply for Supplemental benefits (SSI) but you need to qualify and can only have assets of $2000 or less filing single and $3,000 filing as a couple. These are your options through SS at this point.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in,do you have any further questions?