How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 74 years old and my wife is the same age My social

Customer Question

I am 74 years old and my wife is the same age
My social security benefit I s 3420 ans my wife received 1120
Should be get half of my benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes, but if she took early retirement then that will be taken off the 50% benefit as well. To answer your question, you need to contact SSA and ask about the spousal benefit and have your wife take the larger of the two benefits although if she took early retirement she might not get the full 50% depending on what age she elected to take her normal retirement benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.