Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My inlaws live with me and receive $1200 per month in social…

Customer Question
My inlaws live with me...
My inlaws live with me and receive $1200 per month in social security benefits. I do not treat them as dependents on my tax return and they do not receive food stamps.
We recently moved and the social security office has asked them to complete a form "Statement of Claimant or Other Person". This form requires detail of my household expenses and my inlaws to list how much they pay towards those expenses and whether the are paying for food, housing or general expenses.
I need to know if their benefits will be reduced if they do not claim that they pay us all their ss income for these expenses. I also need to understand how checking one of the three boxes in section 2 will change their benefits.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/11/2016
Social Security Expert: Joseph Calabrasi,
 replied 2 years ago
Joseph Calabrasi

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help answer your question.

Based on the information you provided, your inlaws would not need to pay you all of their SS income to keep the full benefit. However, there would be a benefit reduction if they do not pay a "pro rata share" of household expenses.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

-Joe