How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Calabrasi Your Own Question
Joseph Calabrasi
Joseph Calabrasi,
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2
Experience:  Managing Member at Lionsight Capital, LLC
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Joseph Calabrasi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My inlaws live with me and receive $1200 per month in social

Customer Question

My inlaws live with me and receive $1200 per month in social security benefits. I do not treat them as dependents on my tax return and they do not receive food stamps.
We recently moved and the social security office has asked them to complete a form "Statement of Claimant or Other Person". This form requires detail of my household expenses and my inlaws to list how much they pay towards those expenses and whether the are paying for food, housing or general expenses.
I need to know if their benefits will be reduced if they do not claim that they pay us all their ss income for these expenses. I also need to understand how checking one of the three boxes in section 2 will change their benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Joseph Calabrasi replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help answer your question.

Based on the information you provided, your inlaws would not need to pay you all of their SS income to keep the full benefit. However, there would be a benefit reduction if they do not pay a "pro rata share" of household expenses.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.