How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

From 1976 to 1981 I was employed by a company in Reston, VA

Customer Question

From 1976 to 1981 I was employed by a company in Reston, VA named Acuity Systems, Inc. In the late Fall of 1980 this company was sold and all employees were terminated. In 1999 when I was ready to apply for Social Security benefits I was told that there was no record of my work history for the year 1978. I spent literally months researching the purchaser of Acuity Systems, along with the 2nd and 3rd purchasers. IRS adamantly refused to assist me in any fashion. Consequently, I have been shorted a year's benefits. Social Security has now contacted me again regarding this matter and I am seeking records from SS to enable me to recoup these benefits. Can you help please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

I do not know if you still want assistance and your situation is complicated.

The SSA can give you copies/printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you need them for a Social Security-related reason like yours.

The IRS does not have records that far back available.

Send your request to the Social Security Administration. Please send your request to:

Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Division of Earnings Record Operations
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD###-##-####/p>

If you were any type of pension plan with that company and you have records for 1976 or 77 and then for 79 that may help too. The plan administrator of that pension may have records for 78.