How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in 1937. I have not applied other benefits

Customer Question

I was born in 1937. I have not applied for any other benefits because I was divorced. Someone has told me that I could apply for additional benefits from my ex husband's account (he is deceased). Is this true? Am I eligible? If so, how do I apply before this benefit gets canceled later this year?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, OK, the right to file for divorced spouse benefits is NOT going away - if those are bigger than what you are getting on your own record, and you are single, you can still file for them. This is NOT going away. You can go to your local SSA office to inquire of what your divorced spousal benefit would be, and if bigger than what you have not, file for it. It is also important to know that IF your ex passes away, and you are single OR remarried after age 60, you can file for a survivor benefit under his record. This can cause a great gain if his lifetime earnings was greater than your own, because you can collect 100% of HIS benefit, instead of your own. This type of benefit is ALSO not going anywhere.

What is going away is the right of a person to file for a "restricted application for spousal benefits only", even if it is smaller than what they can get on their own record. It used to be that those over 66 but under 70 could file for the first time, for ONLY spousal, so that their own benefit could grow untouched to age 70, thereby increasing by 32% due to the delayed retirement credits earned by not collecting for all those years. This won't apply to you because you have already been collecting AND you are over 70.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Hello again. It is period end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!


Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional