Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 67 and started my social security oct. 2014 I kept

Customer Question
working in 2015 and was...
I am 67 and started my social security oct. 2014 I kept working in 2015 and was paid 20,000 in ss payments. I made about 46,000 on a full time job. Can I suspend my social security check to change my total income so that I will have less income to pay for 2015.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/10/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

No, you cannot do so unless it was within 12 months of the original election. You can suspend your benefits going forward but you cannot repay your benefits to reduce your taxes for 2015.

From the social security website:

"If you are receiving Social Security Retirement benefits and you change your mind about when they should start, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date.

However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application."

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I do not perform the service of live phone call, but you can propose an offer that will open up to other experts, if you do in fact want a live phone call from an expert (this will be an extra charge). I can continue to answer any questions on this and if you are satisfied I hope you can make a positive rating to my answer.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?