Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am looking Social Security Consultant in Suffolk County,

Customer Question
I am looking for a...
I am looking for a Social Security Consultant in Suffolk County, NY. Any recommendations?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/5/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening George,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am certain that I can assist you in understanding the new social security laws. I am quite familiar with them.

There is a tremendous amount of misleading information as well as outright misinformation floating around the internet and on radio and TV about the recent changes in the law. In reality the changes effect only a very small percentage of Americans, and they relate only to a spouse benefit---unless you happen to be receiving SSDI benefits. And even if you are receiving SSDI, it is still highly unlikely that you will lose any benefits. Let me explain.

The reality is that there is not really unclaimed benefits(and this is where the big lie really is), but there are 2 loopholes being closed that would allow a very select few people to get more benefits over the remainder of their lives.

Unless you are presently married, at least 62 years old and not receiving a social security benefit yet, then the changes will not effect you and will not allow you to get any extra money from social security when you retire. Neither will the changes mean that you will get less of a retirement benefit when you do retire. The monthly benefit amounts have not changed.

The loopholes being closed---there are 2 of them--- allow the following:

1. A person over 66 who is not taking their own benefit yet to File and Suspend a retirement claim, and allow their spouse to take an immediate spouse benefit.This loophole ends on May 1, 2016 for everyone, regardless of age.

2. Allow you to take a Restricted Spouse Benefit after age 66 and still allow your own retirement benefit to grow to age 70 by 8% per year----but in order to qualify for this loophole, you MUST be born before February 2, 1954 and not yet be receiving any kind of a social security benefit when you first apply for the spouse benefit.

So unless you fall into one of the 2 categories above, then the change in the laws have no direct impact on you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

I asked for an Social Security advisor close to where I live. So I could go one on one with him or her answering all of my questions. I am not looking to send email questions back & forth. If you can't supply me with some recommendations please cancel my request at a total cost.
Thanks for nothing
****** *. *******

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug