Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 67 year old veteran and I receive 1210.00 ss benefits…

Customer Question
I am 67 year old...
I am 67 year old veteran and I receive 1210.00 ss benefits is there any way for me to increase this payment
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2016
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You may not just increase social security benefits because benefits are based on your working history,

HOWEVER

- you might want to verify if benefits are calculated correctly, and

- you might want to seek additional public assistance

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings. They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most. And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age. So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration.

Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.