Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My ain togetherlady and I would like to marry, but w were

Customer Question

my ain togetherlady and I would like to marry, but w were told that if we do our ss benefits would be reduced, We both receive benefits, mine is about $2200. and hers is about $950. per month.
We were told that should we marry our benefits would decrease by approximately 25%. Is this correct and should we remain single
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Your benefits should not change because of marriage unless either of you are taking survivor benefits from a deceased spouse and are under the age of 60. Another examole is if either of you are tsking a spousal benefit from an ex spouse and are under sge 60. If not, the social security benefit amount has nothing to do with your marriage status.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions