How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently married to a woman that is not a citizen of

Customer Question

I am currently married to a woman that is not a citizen of the U.S., My questions is if something should happen to me, would she be able to apply for survivors benefits, if so
at what age would she be able to do so. We have been together for over a year, she is
54 and I am 78. Does she need to have a green card to receive this benefit? ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Where do you and your wife permanently reside? In the US or elsewhere?

2. Is she a legal resident of the US yet?