Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

, I am 62+ and not collecting yet. My ex wife recently…

Customer Question
I am 62+ and...

I am 62+ and not collecting yet. My ex wife recently passed and was collecting SSDI and would be 60 now.. I was told by Social security that I could collect on her acount now and then wait until I turned 66 or 70 to collect a higher amount on my work history.I am getting conflicting information that I would have to wait until she turned 62 o collect ex spousal/survivor benefits.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/3/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are eligible to apply for a survivor benefit as soon as you reach 60 years of age. And that changes to 50 years of age if you are disabled.

And yes, you can take the survivor benefit at 60 and allow your own retirement benefit to continue to increase in value to age 66 or even age 70.

You are 62 and you may begin collecting your survivor benefit right now.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug