Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My first husband died about 18 months ago. A friend told me…

Customer Question
My first husband died about...
My first husband died about 18 months ago. A friend told me I might be able to get some kind of benefits from him. Is that true? I am currently married to my second husband (for 28 years).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/3/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney inmy private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

A divorced spouse benefit is actually only available for those unmarried again. Similarly, a divorced widow benefit is for unmarried widows that did not remarry OR, did so only after reaching age 60. This is because it is a dependent benefit, and being remarried makes you, in the eyes of the SSA, not a dependent of your first spouse any longer. Now you are potentially a dependent of your current spouse, so you can be eligible for a spousal benefit on your current spouse's record once you are age 62.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional