Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is the procedure to contest who is the designated payee…

Customer Question
What is the procedure to...
What is the procedure to contest who is the designated payee for my minor childrens S.S.I. benefits ? I was never married to the childrens mother and although she has a history of drug and alcohol abuse was selected to be the designated payee by the Social Security Administration( I assume because she is the primary caregiver). Is there a procedure available to have a third party designated as the payee ? I fear she will squander the benefit money on herself and the children will see little of it. I was told by a federal employee at the local S.S.I. office that past "bad acts" are not considered when establishing the designated payee and documentation must be provided in order to change designated payee status. This woman has been in Federal Prison (drug conspiracy)through 2 drug treatment programs, had 4 D.U.I.'s (most recently 2013 with kids in vehicle w/o restraints). How can I possibly document her drug & alcohol use when I have nothing to do with this woman. I have joint visitation with my children twice a week and every other weekend w/alternating holidays.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Are the children disabled? You mention SSI and not Social Security, is why I ask.