Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Collecting since age 65) benefit is $1,400/month, and my…

Customer Question
collecting since age 65) benefit...
collecting since age 65) benefit is $1,400/month, and my wife's(age 77 & collecting since age 65) is only $254/month. Is this reasonable and correct? My Certified Financial Planner tells me my wife's should be equal to 50% of my benefit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/2/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been an attorney for more than 30 years and I handle social security issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How old are you now?

2. What is your wife's age?

3. Is your wife collecting a spouse benefit or a benefit based on her own lifetime earnings?

4. How much did you collect when you first started taking your social security benefit?

Thanks in advance,

Doug