Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was married years. My divorce decree does not cover social…

Customer Question
I was married for 36...
I was married for 36 years. My divorce decree does not cover social security. By Florida Law am I entitled to half of my husband's social security if he is still alive?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/2/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 30 years and I handle social security matters.

Under social security law, as you were married for more than 10 years, and if you are at least age 62 and not presently married, then you are eligible to apply for an Ex-spouse benefit based on your ex's lifetime earnings.

It is not an issue that the decree did not cover social security. In fact the state courts do not have the legal ability to order one person to pay over social security benefits to the other.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Doug