LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Can you address this question -- what the difference would

Customer Question

Can you address this question -- what the difference would be in SS pymt. I currently get under deceased ex-husbands SSN###-##-####D6, if I changed to my own ************. I turned 70 on ******* and possibly could be entitled to an increase. I cannot get through the phone menu to a person or option for an appointment and due to upcoming hip surgery cannot stand in long lines I see on-site forming over an hr. prior to opening.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Miriam,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Only social security can tell you the benefit that you would receive from switching from a survivor benefit to your own benefit.

However there is a way you can find out without calling social security. Let me explain.

You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15minutes through this site: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

At this site you can see exactly what your age 70 benefit was and you can then decide whether it will benefit you to switch to your own benefit or continue with your survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug