Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was married yrs. My ex works oil company and we divorced…

Customer Question
I was married for 29...
I was married for 29 yrs. My ex works for an oil company and we divorced after he developed a relationship and fathered a child with another woman while we lived in Indonesia. I did not work while we lived there for about 10 yrs and therefore didn't pay in SS. We have been divorced for 10 yrs and I remarried 1 yr ago. Is there any way I can apply for benefits from his SS?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/2/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

Did you remarry before or after age 60?

before
I just turned 59

You will not be able to get benefits from your ex if you remarried before age 60 until the marriage ends unfortunately. Social security will not allow you to take the spousal benefit of 50% of his benedit but you will be able to get that from your current husband.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?