How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married yrs. My ex works oil company and we divorced

Customer Question

I was married for 29 yrs. My ex works for an oil company and we divorced after he developed a relationship and fathered a child with another woman while we lived in Indonesia. I did not work while we lived there for about 10 yrs and therefore didn't pay in SS. We have been divorced for 10 yrs and I remarried 1 yr ago. Is there any way I can apply for benefits from his SS?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you remarry before or after age 60?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just turned 59
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You will not be able to get benefits from your ex if you remarried before age 60 until the marriage ends unfortunately. Social security will not allow you to take the spousal benefit of 50% of his benedit but you will be able to get that from your current husband.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?

Related Social Security Questions