Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can i collect spousal benefits my husband died June, 2015 he…

Customer Question
can i collect spousal benefits...
can i collect spousal benefits my husband died June, 2015 he was 90 years old. I am 61 years of age and still working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/1/2016
Social Security Expert: PDtax, CPA firm owner replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Hi My question is can i collect spousal benefits. My husband died 6.14.2015 he was 90 years of age and i still work and i am 61 years of age.

You can receive reduced widow's benefits as early as age 60.

It's best to set an appointment at a local SSA office to apply. They will ask for certain documents to prove your identity and claim, and they can calculate your benefit while you are there.

From SSA.gov:

Information You Need To Apply For Widow's, Widower's Or Surviving Divorced Spouse's Benefits - Form SSA-10

You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-****(TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

You can help by being ready to:

• Provide any needed documents; and
  • Answer the questions listed below.

Documents you may need to provide

We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

• Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate

Important

We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)

Do not delay filing your claim just because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.

What we will ask you

• Your name and Social Security number;
  • Your name at birth (if different);
  • The worker's name, gender, social security number, date of birth, date of death, and place of death;
  • Your date of birth and place of birth (State or foreign country);
  • Whether a public or religious record was made of your birth before age 5;
  • Your citizenship status;
  • Whether you have used any other Social Security number;
  • The State or foreign country of the worker's fixed permanent residence at the time of death;
  • Whether you or anyone else has ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income on your behalf. (If so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied.);
  • Whether the worker ever filed for Social Security benefits, Medicare or Supplemental Security Income. (If so, we will also ask for information on whose Social Security record you applied.);
  • Whether you became unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time within the past 14 months. (If "Yes," we will also ask you the date you became unable to work);
  • Whether the worker was unable to work because of illnesses, injuries or conditions at any time during the 14 months before his or her death. (If "Yes," we will also ask you the date he or she became unable to work.);
  • Whether you or the worker were ever in the active military service before 1968 and, if so, the dates of service and whether you receive or are eligible to receive a pension from a military or Federal civilian agency;
  • Whether you or the worker worked for the railroad industry;
  • Whether you or the worker ever earned social security credits under another country's social security system;
  • Whether you qualified for or expect to receive a pension or annuity based on your own employment with the Federal government of the United States or one of its States or local subdivisions;
  • The names, dates of birth (or age) and Social Security numbers (if known) of your or the worker's former spouses;
  • The dates and locations of your marriages, and for marriages that have ended, how, when, and where they ended;
  • The dates and locations of the worker's marriages, and for marriages that have ended, how, when, and where they ended;
  • The amount of the worker's earnings in the year of death and the preceding year;
  • Whether the worker had earnings in all years since 1978;
  • The amount of your earnings for this year, last year and next year;
  • Whether the worker had a parent who was dependent on the worker for ½ of his or her support at the time of the worker's death or at the time the worker became disabled;
  • Whether you were living with the worker at the time of death;
  • The month you want your benefits to begin; and
  • If you are within 3 months of age 65, whether you want to enroll in Medical Insurance (Part B of Medicare).

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-10.html is the link to their web page covering this subject.

Good luck with your application. Please leave positive feedback to rate my assistance. That closes out your question and credits me with assisting.

Thanks for using Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.