How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took early social security benefits. If I continue to work

Customer Question

I took early social security benefits. If I continue to work and log the requisite quarters and then become unable to do my job because of age, will I ever be eligible to receive a larger benefit per month on disability?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

If you become disabled before you hit full retirement age (you can't get it after), here is what would happen.

Let's say you took early at 62. At 63 you became disabled. You filed and won that claim. All the months after the first 5 of disability, would be payable as full reitirement, but reduced by ONLY the amount of months you took early that were NOT disabled (as retroactivlely found). So, for the 12 months of taken early retirement from 62-63, plus the 5 months after 63 that you were first disabled, you'd have and keep your early reitrement benefit and not eligigible for the difference between that and your full retiremenet. However, from 63 and 6 months, those would be disabled months of entitlement. THe reduction you took due to taking at 62 would be adjusted because it was no longer true that you took 4 years early, but only 1 year and 5 months of early retirement, the rest being NOT. So instead of being hit for 48 months of reduction, you'd see 17 months worth, which is quite a bit less.

Keep in mind too that working each year now, may increase your benefit anyway - they look at the top 35 years, so if this new work you do bumps another older year off, inserting itself as now one of your top 35 years, that would increase your benefit too - at least incrementally.

But the most obvious way to increase benefit is to not take early. Live off of work earnings and wait til 70 to retire. That gives you an 80% increase over if you took at 62. And a 32% increase over if you started at 66.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!


Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional