How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13544
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

T. and my question: I am currently collecting SS and still

Customer Question

T. and my question: I am currently collecting SS and still working I am 67. When I started collecting SS the amount was not much but during the last 4/5 years my income is now well into 6 digits. Is there a way that I can collect more SS when I truly retire. Still having fun at work. Thanks.-m
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had cancer as I turned 62 and the future did not look bright and with some maybe ill advice I began collecting SS (at the time you could pay them back if you wanted to retire later) and went for that option. Sense then, I am cured of the cancer and my taxes and SS payments have gone way up. Am I elgilble to pay them back and collect what I am currently being shorted?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, what a great post! Thank you.

OK, since you are only 67, you can suspend your SS and live on your income for a while. This will get you an 8% raise in benefit amount for each year you DON'T collect your benefits, up to age 70. So, you could get up to a 24% raise if you just turned 67, or between 16 and 24 if you are somewhere in between. This is extra beneficial since your current income is being taxed, due to your income, whereby perhaps later, if when you stop working, if ever, depending on income, none of it may be taxed.

You can not pay back and 'reverse' your prior decision, no, since it has been more than 12 months.

Also, if your new income is higher than any prior year in your top 35, you will be increasing your benefit due to having a new calculation (done each year) using the current set of top 35 years. So perhaps some of these 6 figure years will be replacing your young person income years that were quite small relatively - making a little boost (or a big one, depending).

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!


Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional