Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

We have appointment 10 days ago. The agent checked our

Customer Question
documents and told that everything...
We have appointment 10 days ago. The agent checked our documents and told that everything is OK and we'll have our SSI unchanged. Two days ago we received the letter from the office and they cancelled our SSI due to more money on our account on the beginning of the month. We have our money $ 2,500 from the German Holocaust fund. We received them once in 2003. On the first of every month we receive our SSI and spend them for rent (700), from February 1st it''ll be $ 800 and the rest 400-450 we have for the month to spend - for copayments, for some medicine that is not covered by insurance, for food at the end of the month and other small items. So, our balance in the first week of every month became $ 2,400-2,500. Please help us. I'm on oxygen and is not very easy for me to go for a new appointment, but I come if it'll be necessary.
'
l Polya Nys, SS#***-**-****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
2/1/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

At this point ... this is likely something being sent out from a different office, and the notice "kicked out of the system" automatically before it could be stopped.

...

As you know All Holocaust compensation and restitution payments are excluded from calculations relating to eligibility for federally funded benefits, per 1994 legislation.

...

(Nazi Persecution Act passed by Congress in 1994)

...

You might, just to be sure, reply to the address on that notice (and you may want to send this by certified mail or some other way that guarantees delivery), and address the following:

..

(1) These payments compensation and restitution payments (under the Nazi Persecution Act passed by Congress in 1994) excluded from calculations relating to eligibility for federally funded benefits including Medicaid and social security

...

and (2) that you spoke with an officer on XX/XX/XXXX date (name of officer would be ideal, certainly include the address of the office) and they confirmed that the SSI will not be changed.

You've reached a website called JustAnswer, Pauline.

...

We are not Social Security, but rather a web site that matches verified experts in areas such as Social Security with users suich as you that have questions.

...

So again, replying to the notice in the way I mentioned above (although speaking with the officer may have been enough) should help to insulate that they have this flagged as coming from the restitution/compensation payments so it will not cause problems again.

...

Another option (and additional layer, I should say) would be to call the local office and verify that they have flagged you account in this manner.

..

Finally, you an also have someone else represent you by going to the office for you ... this does NOT have to be an attorney.

...

here's the form for that: Appointment of Representative, Form SSA-1696

Hope this has helped … Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit me for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane