How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15739
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Regarding the SSB and recoupment from my disability. I have

Customer Question

regarding the SSB and recoupment from my disability. I have been paying since 1996 and think I should be done. SSB = app 35000 but I received $25000 approximate
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I only have 10% rating = $133.00. I do think I should be done. I am trying to locate a number to check the balance. But I also believe the recoupment should be at $25,000 since it was taxed beforehand
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


If you received Special Separation Bonus (SSB) and the later qualify for retired or retainer pay, you would have been required to repay the full gross SSB paid to that date.

When they recoup SSB payments, they treat it like a pre-tax deduction. That is, they would have reduced your taxable income by the amount they deducted for the recoupment each month.

Because they recoup the gross amount you would have claimed a repayment of the amount when you filed your taxes for each year.

It is too late to go all the way back to 19996 and do this but for any year that you repay a taxable amount for a previous year, you can claim that as a reduction for the current year that the payment was made. It is generally taken on Schedule A but you could have claimed a credit in the year of repayment on your federal return.

This is done by recalculating tax for the year you received the income, but don’t include the income you repaid. The difference in tax – with and without the repaid income – is the amount of your credit. Report this credit on the “total payments” line of your federal return (for the year of repayment) with the reference “I.R.C. 1341.”

Like I advised, you cannot go back and amend your returns all the way to 1996 but you could go back 3 years and amend and then for 2015 show the amount you repaid in 2015.

If you wish to speak to them about your balance you can call

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

I hope this is helpful.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Now that you viewed my response, please post below

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question was about how can I find out about the balance owed from the SSB. I am not concerned at all about the taxes that I lost. Can you answer my original question, or issue a refund?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

I posted the contact info for requesting the balance.

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly that is still not the answer. I have had that number for years and they do not have balance information.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Then I will tell our Customer Support that you wish to withdraw your question.