How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a veteran of World War II. He was born in 1927

Customer Question

My husband is a veteran of World War II. He was born in 1927 and I was born in 1945. We both receive Social Security. Are either one of us--or both--eligible for additional money over our regular monthly SS? Also, if he pre-deceases me, can I receive extra money? (That is, I was told that in the event he pre-deceases, I would receive only half his monthly benefit, or my own full benefit, whichever is greater. However, I don't know if that SS agent was taking into account that my husband was in WWII.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The World War II veteran part does not play a factor in this situation but if he predeceases you, you will be able to file for survivor benefit. Since you have passed full retirement age, you will receive 100% of his benefit if he predeceases you. If either of you have a disability or qualify for supplement income help (SSI) you might be able to increase your income. For SSI you could not have more than $3000 in assets (not all assets are counted). Disability would only be if it is higher than your current SS retirement payment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.