How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to apply restricted application.

Customer Question

I would like to apply for the restricted application.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How can I help you? What is it that you need to know?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your information before i paid #39. said a restricted application was available and that would give me another $1,00 or so a month. I'd lke to file for that application.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


1. Are you over the age of 66 and presently married? If not what is your present age?

2. Have you begun to collect your own social security retirement benefit yet?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am almsot 76, married to a man almost 66 and yes, we both collect Social Security.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please discontinue my subscription. Consider this my refusal to pay $39.00 a month and wish no further contact - my free trial is over. I shall make sure my bank knows this. My lawyer can take care of my questions.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


If you wish to have your deposit refunded, all you need to do is contact customer service. You have not paid anyone anything as of this point. You can contact customer service at(###) ###-####

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.


Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

New expert here, I'm not sure you still want an answer but I will give it a shot. My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You would not be the one filing the restricted application, it would be your spouse. The new laws that go into effect on May 1, 2016 would prohibit the "restricted application" in the future but your spouse would be grandfathered in as your husband is 66 and meets the requirement that he turn 62 by December 31, 2015. This means that if your spouse would like to elect to take only the spousal benefit as opposed to his normal retirement benefit, he can restrict his election to ONLY the spousal benefit. This would allow him to collect the 50% spousal benefit while still gaining credits to his normal retirement benefit from ages 66-70 (the credit increases your benefit approximately 8% per year). Your husband would file for the restricted benefit at full retirement age (age 66) and since he is grandfathered in, he would then get 50% of your retirement benefit (not counting any credits you may have received after full retirement age) and have his retirement benefit continue to grow until age 70. After the law changes, at full retirement age, one would have to take the higher of the spousal benefit and their retirement benefit. One can no longer choose just the spousal benefit and let your normal retirement benefit grow while still taking the spousal benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.