Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My wife is 62 on SSI disability benefits. Is it possible she

Customer Question

My wife is 62 on SSI disability benefits. Is it possible she can suspend these benefits and resume later until I am not working as all benefits are currently taxed?
Thanks,
JB
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean Social Security Disability Insurance benefits? You stated SSI, which is welfare disability for non-workers - and if you are a working husband, she likely would not be poor enough for that welfare. Thank you for clarifying. Thank you for clarifying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are correct. We are trying to determine if it's possible to cease receiving while I'm working to avoid the tax bite. Her yearly benefit is currently only 20K. She's retired and my income is 200K If we can't cease benefits should we file taxes separately then?
Thanks,
JB

OK! If she started collecting less than 12 months ago, she should be able to WITHDRAW that application. She mus pay back what she has collected though. This would make it like she has never collected at all. It is a once in a lifetime option.

It is not "suspending" since that can only happen at her full retirement age or after, so she will want to jump on the withdrawing opportunity asap.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional