LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was married years but were lived together yrs before we

Customer Question

I was married for 9 years but were lived together for 4 yrs before we got married & had kids am I going to be able to collect his social security
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are suggesting that you divorce your husband before you have been legally married for at least 10 years, then you would not be eligible for an ex-spouse benefit of any kind based on his lifetime earnings,.

If you are remarried you can make a new spouse benefit claim after just one year of remarriage provided you are at least 62 and your spouse is receiving his benefits. If you are no remarried, you will be limited to taking your own retirement benefit based on your lifetime earnings.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug