Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is this I hear where we can get more money if we

Customer Question
started befor a certain...
what is this I hear where we can get more money if we started befor a certain year
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/27/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi Milo,

If someone turned 62 before the end of 2015, he or she can, LATER, when he hits his full retirement age, file a restricted SS application for only spousal benefits, while deferring his own benefit so it grows 32% bigger, til age 70, when he then switches. Those that didn't yet turn 62, will not be grandfathered for that possible opportunity.

The other issue is that if one files for benefits and wants to suspend them, so that they grow to age 70, unless he does so before 5/1/2016, any suspension of his benefit will also suspend and dependents taking a benefit on his record, such as a spousal collecting a spousal benefit or a child taking a child's benefit.

So if any of the above fits your situation, the details above are what you want to do.

The

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!