Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

, MY STEP-FATHER DIED LAST MONTH.HE WAS MARRIED TO MY

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: MY STEP-FATHER DIED LAST MONTH.HE WAS MARRIED TO MY MOTHER FOR OVER 40YRS.SHE NEEDS HIS SOCIAL SEC.NUMBER TO GET HIS BENEFITS.HOW CAN SHE FIND IT
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Normally the only person that would be able to request this number would be the person with the social security number himself. Therefore you will need to someone with authority to act on behalf of your step father's estates. The executor or administrator of the estate would have that power so if that is your morher, then she should be able to accomplish this. A court order from the probate Judge should also be sufficient. The easiest thing to do would be for her to go to the local Social Security Administration office and request a replacement social security card. She needs to tell SS she doesn't know her husband's social security number and they'll look it up for her if he provides them with evidence that she is the executor (she needs to bring the letters of administration appointing her as the executor).

Alternatively, you could hire a private investigator and they would be able to get you the number quickly and easily. The private investigator will charge you, though, while the SSA request will be free (but it'll take a couple of weeks).

Here's a link to the Social Security Administration, you'll type your zip code and it'll give you the office closest to you.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.