How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 64. My husband passed away 3 years ago.I want to

Customer Question

I am 64. My husband passed away 3 years ago.I want to collect my husband's SS and Suspend mine.
Can I do this online or should I make an appointment with the local office?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

See link to Social Security website:

"A widow or widower can receive benefits

(1) at age 60 or older.

(2) at age 50 or older if disabled.

(3) at any age if she or he takes care of a child of the deceased who is younger than age 16 or disabled."

"You cannot apply for survivors benefits online. To report a death or apply for survivors benefits, please

(1) call our toll-free number, 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

(2) You also can call or visit your local Social Security office."

Also see Social Security link:

Your benefit would be "Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount; Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount" So if you wait until your full retirement age you will get 100% of your deceased spouse's benefit. Also your spouse had to be eligible for SS through his work history. "A worker can earn up to four credits each year. In 2016, for example, your spouse can earn one credit for each $1,260 of wages or self-employment income. When your spouse has earned $5,040, he or she has earned his or her four credits for the year.

The number of credits needed to provide benefits for survivors depends on the worker's age when he or she dies. The younger a person is, the fewer credits he or she must have for family members to receive survivors benefits. But no one needs more than 40 credits (10 years of work) to be eligible for any Social Security benefit." See link:

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.