Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My social security check did not arrive @ my bank and what…

Customer Question
My social security check did...
My social security check did not arrive @ my bank and what shows up is $282.55 short, has my benefit been lowered and if so, why?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/27/2016
Social Security Expert: Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant replied 2 years ago
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Social Security benefits were not increased for 2016 as inflation has been too low to put in place a cost-of-living adjustment that is normally done each year. In addition, Medicare premiums have increased from last year as medical costs have continued to increase, so most Social Security beneficiaries' are receiving less in net benefits this year. Medicare premiums can also be adjusted if your income was high in a prior year.

However, the easiest way to find out for sure it to open an online account with the Social Security Administration by visiting: https://ssa.gov/myaccount/ and select the option to "Create an Account." Once you have an account set up you will have access to account without calling the SSA or visiting one of their offices.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.

Thanks, Jonathan