How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I began receiving Soc Sec benefits AFTER ,age 66. employed

Customer Question

I began receiving Soc Sec benefits AFTER ,age 66. I am STILL employed and widowed for 25 yrs, therefore, I made my claim under my husbands Soc .
I was informed that I could do this until such time as I retired, at which time I had a choice to continue with his social or use my own , should the "amount of benefit be greater" under my own number..
I have NOT made any changes to that arrangement, nevertheless, my benefit amount has DECREASED by $171.80 /month beginning January 2016.I have not received either a NOTIFICATION nor explanation about this.
Please help me.
Irene J ********
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Your benefit decrease is due to the Medicare Part A payment which is mandatory.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I determine what that amt s and does it change from one yr to the next?.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

The amount does change from year to year but only in years with a Cost of Living adjustment. You should receive mailings from Social Security several weeks prior to any benefit change. You should read those so that you know what to expect.