Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I began receiving Soc Sec benefits AFTER ,age 66. employed…

Customer Question
I began receiving Soc Sec...
I began receiving Soc Sec benefits AFTER ,age 66. I am STILL employed and widowed for 25 yrs, therefore, I made my claim under my husbands Soc .
I was informed that I could do this until such time as I retired, at which time I had a choice to continue with his social or use my own , should the "amount of benefit be greater" under my own number..
I have NOT made any changes to that arrangement, nevertheless, my benefit amount has DECREASED by $171.80 /month beginning January 2016.I have not received either a NOTIFICATION nor explanation about this.
Please help me.
Sincerely,
Irene J ********
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/27/2016
Social Security Expert: CGCPA, CPA replied 2 years ago
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA

Your benefit decrease is due to the Medicare Part A payment which is mandatory.

How can I determine what that amt s and does it change from one yr to the next?.

The amount does change from year to year but only in years with a Cost of Living adjustment. You should receive mailings from Social Security several weeks prior to any benefit change. You should read those so that you know what to expect.

CGCPA
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA