Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My wife turns 62 on 12/12/17. she would receive about $700

Customer Question

my wife turns 62 on 12/12/17. she would receive about $700 if filing at that time. I plan to continue to work thru age 68 (currently 61) and have had the higher income. Should she file at 62 and could she then receive the spousal benefit after I file 7 years from now? Or is there a better alternative?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

This is a difficult question to answer and there is not correct answer. It all comes down to your situation, health, financial situation, etc. Also understand that the spousal benefit is 50% of your benefit and not 100%. You would have to calculate your break even point and if permanently reducing her benefit is worth it. She can no longer restrict her benefit at full retirement age as the law is changing on May 1, 2016 and she will not be grandfathered in at her age so when she takes the spousal benefit she will receive the higher of her normal retirement benefit and the spousal benefit. She cannot take just the spousal and let her benefit grow from credits at age 66-70. If your financial situation warrants it, it is probably best to take it early but if she can continue to work and your standard of living and health are fine, it might be best to let her retirement benefit grow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.