Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife and I are both on ssdi she turned 65 ,I'm 61 can…

Customer Question
My wife and I are...
My wife and I are both on ssdi she turned 65 ,I'm 61 can either of us file for the other's ss
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/27/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

You CAN, but you likely wouldn't want to. First, spousal benefit is only a maximum of 50% of your spouse's amount. Typically, your own, which if SSD is 100% of your own insurance amount, is higher. So why take less?

Furthermore, Filing for a spousal benefit NOW, while "underage" ,means you will permanently reduce it - you won't even get 50%. THis is because we ONLY get a 50% spousal benefit IF we wait til we are at least our FULL retirement age.

IN your situations, you are likely best served by keeping your 100% benefit you have now. Once you hit your full retirement ages, your SSD will seamlessly convert in name to retirement and you will never have to suffer the permanent reduction that is caused when we take "early" retirement.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional