How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turn 66 (full retirement age) in Feb 2016 and interested

Customer Question

I turn 66 (full retirement age) in Feb 2016 and interested in applying for the "Restricted Application" benefit. My wife is 64, retired and has been drawing SS benefits since age 62. I understand that I can begin drawing half her benefit now and then wait till I am 70yo to take my full benefit.
QUESTIONS: Is the amount based on my wife's current monthly benefit or the monthly benefit she would have received if she started at her full retirement age?
Also, are their any other qualifications or restrictions in applying for the Restricted Application, also known as the "Phased In" Strategy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Alan,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as your wife is receiving her social security benefit now, and you are at least 66 years of age, you may file a Restricted Application for Spouse Benefits and receive 50% of the benefit that your wife received when she first applied for her benefit, and at the same time your own retirement benefit will increase in value by 8% per year.

When you apply, you will need to show social security a copy of your marriage license and provide them both of your social security numbers.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


The site suggests that you sent a reply to my answer to you. I do not see any reply posted. So if you did ask a follow-up question, would you please try to post it again?

If you don't have any further questions, would you please rate my service to you so I can be credited with assisting you?

Thanks in advance,