Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife of 40 years passed away in 2003 but I just

Customer Question
discovered it is possible as...
My wife of 40 years passed away in 2003 but I just discovered it is possible as a widower I can get additional SSI
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/26/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You would be entitled to a survivor benefit based on the passing of your wife. However, as only one social security benefit may be paid at a time to a recipient, the only way that the survivor benefit would help you is if your wife was collecting or was going to be entitled to collect a retirement benefit that was more than yours.

You will want to contact social security and ask them to check to see whether your wife's retirement benefit was greater than yours and if it was, then you will want to make a survivor benefit claim. When you go to social security---because you cannot do this online, be sure to have a copy of your marriage license and a copy of her death certificate. Social security will need that to process your claim.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug