How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife receives $754 per month in benefits. I receive $1761

Customer Question

My wife receives $754 per month in benefits. I receive $1761 per month. We are both in our seventies. We both took early benefits based on our own work records. Can my wife's benefits be increased to half my benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes, since you are past full retirement age, your wife should be able to receive 50% of your benefit but remember that this benefit does not include any credits you received from ages 66-70 if you did not take your benefit (which would have increased your benefit about 8% per year). So the 50% your spouse would receive would be 50% of your benefit at age 66, but to answer your question, yes she can take the spousal benefit if it is higher than her own (remember they do not stack).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.