Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was marred years been divorced years she passed away in…

Customer Question
I was marred for 17...
I was marred for 17 years been divorced for 15 years she passed away in 2007
never remarried. can I draw her s.s. im now 63 and working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/26/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You can collect survivor benefits if you have been married for over 10 years before divorcing. See Social Security link: https://socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou3.html

"If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more."

See link to Social Security website:https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3766/Who-can-get-Social-Security-survivors-benefits-and-how-do-I-apply

"A widow or widower can receive benefits

(1) at age 60 or older.

(2) at age 50 or older if disabled.

(3) at any age if she or he takes care of a child of the deceased who is younger than age 16 or disabled."

"You cannot apply for survivors benefits online. To report a death or apply for survivors benefits, please

(1) call our toll-free number, 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

(2) You also can call or visit your local Social Security office."

Also see Social Security link: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou2.html

Your benefit would be "Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount; Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount" So if you wait until your full retirement age you will get 100% of your deceased spouse's benefit. Also your spouse had to be eligible for SS through his work history. "A worker can earn up to four credits each year. In 2016, for example, your spouse can earn one credit for each $1,260 of wages or self-employment income. When your spouse has earned $5,040, he or she has earned his or her four credits for the year.

The number of credits needed to provide benefits for survivors depends on the worker's age when he or she dies. The younger a person is, the fewer credits he or she must have for family members to receive survivors benefits. But no one needs more than 40 credits (10 years of work) to be eligible for any Social Security benefit." See link: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.