LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 73 newly married. When will my wife be eliogible to

Customer Question

I am 73 newly married. When will my wife be eliogible to recieve my death benefit from SS?
She is 59. When will she be eligible for medicare and or medicaid as my spouse?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning David,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you have been married at least 9 month before you die, your wife will be eligible to receive a social security survivor benefit at your death. The benefit will be equal in amount to the benefit that you are collecting as of the date of your passing.

And while she can take a survivor benefit as early as age 60 (50 if she is legally disabled) taking the benefit before she reaches age 66 would be deem to be taking an early benefit and the amount she receives would be as little as 71.5% of your benefit at age 60, up to 100% of your benefit at her full retirement age---which is presently 66 years and about 6 months based on her present age.

As your spouse, if she is not eligible for Medicare based on her own lifetime earnings, she will qualify for Medicare based on your earnings and she can take her Medicare benefit at age 65.

Because she has worked for much of her life, it looks like she qualifies for Medicare on her own and she will also qualify for a retirement benefit. The one issue would be whether her taking a survivor benefit would pay her more than her own retirement benefit and social security will tell her that when you pass and she will be entitled to tale the benefit that pays her the most.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug