Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

What happens if your on dissabillity and you get divorced

Customer Question

what happens if your on dissabillity and you get divorced and they make 70000 ayr and you were married for 15 yrs
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

How old are you? How old is your ex?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
56 and56
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no kids am waiting for aresponse

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You would be eligible for the spousal Social security benefit which is 50% of your exes benefit since you were married for more than 10 years. Unfortunately, you do not meet the age requirement or the requirement that you ex be taking his social security benefit. At age 62 you would be eligible if your spouse takes his benefit (even if he doesn't then you would be eligible once he reaches full retirement age and you have been divorced at least 2 years). At 62 your benefit would be reduced because of early retirement (you would get 32.5% after the reduction of his benefit). At full retirement age you would get the full 50% and get the higher of your social security benefit and the spousal benefit (these do not stack).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.