How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband needs my mother inlaw's social security

Customer Question

My husband needs my mother inlaw's social security number in order to access money that she left at her bank when she passed away can you help us? We have her death certificate and proper I.D. but not her social security # ***** the bank requires in order to talk to us about her account.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Is your husband the executor or administrator of the estate?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

First you will need to someone with authority to act on behalf of your mother-in-law's estate. The executor or administrator of the estate would have that power so if that is your husband, then you should be able to accomplish this. A court order from the probate Judge should also be sufficient. The easiest thing to do would be for him to go to the local Social Security Administration office and request a replacement social security card. He needs to tell them he doesn't know his mother's social security number and they'll look it up for him if he provides them with evidence that he is the executor (he needs to bring the letters of administration appointing him as the executor).

Alternatively, you could hire a private investigator and they would be able to get you the number quickly and easily. The private investigator will charge you, though, while the SSA request will be free (but it'll take a couple of weeks).

Here's a link to the Social Security Administration, you'll type your zip code and it'll give you the office closest to you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.