How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4475
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I have a question about drawing

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, my name is ***** *****. I have a question about drawing social security on my earnings at age 62 which is currently my age, or, can I also draw on my ex-husband's benefits who is already 66 and still working. We were married 22 years and I have never remarried. Is it possible to start drawing social security on my work record and then reevaluate the benefits I might draw on my ex at my age of 66?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am not sure about the best solution for me on drawing social security. I could certainly use the income from social security since I am unemployed. I want to do the wisest thing for me considering my age.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. Thanks for asking for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see the answer to my question.
Is there a link to find the answer to my question about social security?
I also entered my VISA information on another page.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, answered from my phone. Back at office now, and can respond.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

There is a problem with your strategy, and that is that you plan to claim benefits early. The claim date before full retirement (FRA) will be applied now to a benefit on your work record, AND at FRA when you want to claim a divorced spouse benefit.

SSA will pay you a benefit based on your work record first, regardless of when you claim. If a divorced spouse's benefit is larger, you will get an increase to that amount.

The best advice i can give is to visit an SSA office so they can tell you exactly what your benefit will be on your record, and as a divorced spouse. You can then make an informed decision.

Thanks for asking for me. If this answers your questions, positive feedback rating my assistance will be appreciated. The rating closes out your question and credit me with assisting. I'm PDtax.

Related Social Security Questions