Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I have a question about drawing

Customer Question
Hello, my name is...

Hello, my name is ***** *****. I have a question about drawing social security on my earnings at age 62 which is currently my age, or, can I also draw on my ex-husband's benefits who is already 66 and still working. We were married 22 years and I have never remarried. Is it possible to start drawing social security on my work record and then reevaluate the benefits I might draw on my ex at my age of 66?

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I am not sure about the best solution for me on drawing social security. I could certainly use the income from social security since I am unemployed. I want to do the wisest thing for me considering my age.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/25/2016
Social Security Expert: PDtax, CPA firm owner replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. Thanks for asking for me.

I don't see the answer to my question.
Is there a link to find the answer to my question about social security?
I also entered my VISA information on another page.

Sorry, answered from my phone. Back at office now, and can respond.

There is a problem with your strategy, and that is that you plan to claim benefits early. The claim date before full retirement (FRA) will be applied now to a benefit on your work record, AND at FRA when you want to claim a divorced spouse benefit.

SSA will pay you a benefit based on your work record first, regardless of when you claim. If a divorced spouse's benefit is larger, you will get an increase to that amount.

The best advice i can give is to visit an SSA office so they can tell you exactly what your benefit will be on your record, and as a divorced spouse. You can then make an informed decision.

Thanks for asking for me. If this answers your questions, positive feedback rating my assistance will be appreciated. The rating closes out your question and credit me with assisting. I'm PDtax.