Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What will be my SS Benefits when I turn 62 this April 30…

Customer Question
What will be my SS...
What will be my SS Benefits when I turn 62 this April 30 2016. I have been receiving SS Disability Benefits (currently $ 2,412.90) since 2009. My SS # *****###-##-####
The statement I rec'd in January 2009 states that when I turn 62 I will receive $ 1,659.00 a month, will this be in addition to the $ 2,412.90 ?
Thanks for your help.
Regards
John R. McAloney (###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/25/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon John,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, unless you (unwisely) try to demand to be converted from SSDI to your retirement benefit at age 62, then your benefit will not decrease in the least when you reach age 62. However, you will also not be able to collect both SSDI and retirement at the same time. Social security only pays one benefit to a person at a time. Let me explain.

Your present SSDI benefits are based on your full retirement age benefit ($2412 monthly). So you are already getting the exact amount that you will get when you reach your full retirement age of 66. And your SSDI benefits do not automatically end until you reach full retirement age. In fact your SSDI will automatically convert to your social security retirement at age 66 and the same benefit will continue to be paid to you for the remainder of your life, increasing each year that there is a cost of living increase granted.

While your social security statement does state what your early retirement benefit will be at age 62, you are not obligated to, and should not, try to take it so long as you remain disabled. When you turn 66 it will automatically switch over to retirement for you. You don't have to do anything to make that occur.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Doug