Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Chuck Mosley ... i read an article on yahoo last week about…

Customer Question
Chuck Mosley ... i...

Chuck Mosley ... i read an article on yahoo last week about the possibility of extra money from SSA if i ask the correct 6 questions ... somehow the bookmark didn't work, so i'm trying find out what those questions are

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It's not an issue ... it was just an article on yahoo news and i bookmarked it (i thought), but cannot find it in my bookmarks ... i am interested in researching if i am entitled to some free money

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/25/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

This change probably does not affect you and is being hyped in the media but it is a small loophole that is being closed. It is not a magical lump sum that has to be elected and deals with "file and suspend" and spousal benefits. A spouse can only take the spousal benefit if the other spouse has elected to take their benefit. Another requirement is that the spouse must be at least age 62 or have a qualifying child in her/his care. By a qualifying child, social security means a child who is under age 16 or who receives Social Security disability benefits. Currently the law is changing and a "suspend and file" cannot be elected starting on may 1, 2016. In this circumstance at full retirement age (66) one could file and suspend their benefits and continue earning credits until age 70 and their spouse could elect to take the spousal benefit. The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit. However, if a spouse is caring for a qualifying child, the spousal benefit is not reduced.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further question? I want you to be satisfied with my service, so please let me know.